We’re celebrating one hundred years of serving Utah communities. Each month one of our 13 branches will be spotlighted. You can read a little bit about the history of Bank of American Fork below, with a history of the spotlighted branch. For a deeper history and to view photos visit here and select “downloads”.
Bank of American Fork was established in 1913 as The People’s State Bank of American Fork. The first two decades after opening brought success for the bank and its reputation for being safe and sound was solidified. Challenges came in 1932, when the People’s State Bank of American Fork closed its doors to prevent a run on deposits. While a third of the nation’s banks did the same and never reopened, the People’s State Bank was open for business nine months later after tremendous sacrifice on the part of its management. The 1940s and ‘50s were better years for banking, and the People’s State Bank of American Fork thrived. In the 1960s the name was shortened to Bank of American Fork and proved itself a technological leader when it made a large investment in upgrading to advanced computerized systems. In the ‘80s and ‘90s, Bank of American Fork began to receive national recognition for being safe and strong. It was during this time that the bank began strategic expansion across Utah, finding communities where Bank of American Fork fit and filled needs. Today, we are proud to be a part of 13 communities, and Utah’s community bank leader.
American Fork February 5, 1913 People’s State Bank of American Fork is incorporated. The bank is located at 51 East Main Street in American Fork. In the early 1920s the bank moves from its shared offices at 51 East Main Street to its current location on 33 East Main Street, the Progress building. Labels in a basement vault show inspection dates of 1923 and 1924—the earliest physical evidence of People’s State Bank of American For in this building. On January 16, 1932, People’s State Bank of American Fork and the original Bank of American Fork both close. On October 31, 1932 People’s State Bank of American Fork reopens. The original Bank of American Fork never reopens. People’s State Bank of American Fork will later—in 1963—shorten its name to Bank of American Fork. In 1949, the post office moves out of the Progress building and bank space is doubled. In 1950, the bank is remodeled to add more teller windows and expanded staff and management offices. In the 1960s the bank undergoes a significant interior and exterior renovation to expand and update the building, including the bank’s first walk-up and drive-through windows. In the 1970, computers are installed to process transactions and keep customer records. The computers are so innovative that the bank holds an open house for curious customers. In 1979 a remodel adds 2500 square feet to the American Fork branch. In 2003 the bank builds a central operations center and moves all in-house banking systems to a new fully integrated core system with Jack Henry & Associates, Inc.
See the spotlights for American Fork, Alpine, Orem, Highland, Lehi, Pleasant Grove, Spanish Fork, Draper, Sandy, Murray, Riverton and Saratoga Springs! These are in order, so only the ones listed before this spotlight are active posts. If it’s listed after this branch, you’ll just have to wait to see the new spotlight each month! You can also read about the Layton branch we opened in 2012 and our mortgage office in St. George.