We’re celebrating one hundred years of serving Utah communities with free cookie Fridays. Each month one of our 13 branches will be spotlighted—for that month, the spotlighted branch will have free cookies in their lobby. You can read a little bit about the history of Bank of American Fork below, with a history of the spotlighted branch. For a deeper history and to view photos visit here and select “downloads”.
Bank of American Fork was established in 1913 as The People’s State Bank of American Fork. The first two decades after opening brought success for the bank and its reputation for being safe and sound was solidified. Challenges came in 1932, when the People’s State Bank of American Fork closed its doors to prevent a run on deposits. While a third of the nation’s banks did the same and never reopened, the People’s State Bank was open for business nine months later after tremendous sacrifice on the part of its management. The 1940s and ‘50s were better years for banking, and the People’s State Bank of American Fork thrived. In the 1960s the name was shortened to Bank of American Fork and proved itself a technological leader when it made a large investment in upgrading to advanced computerized systems. In the ‘80s and ‘90s, Bank of American Fork began to receive national recognition for being safe and strong. It was during this time that the bank began strategic expansion across Utah, finding communities where Bank of American Fork fit and filled needs. Today, we are proud to be a part of 13 communities, and Utah’s community bank leader.
Draper Branch July 2, 2001 The eighth branch opened in a strip mall as Bank of American Fork’s first branch in Salt Lake County. Utah was the third fastest-growing state in the nation; between the 2000 and 2010 census, population grew an astounding 23 percent. Utah County was the fastest-growing county in the state and Bank President Dale Gunther began to notice particular population and retail growth in the Draper area, just past the northern border of Utah County. While searching for the right permanent spot, the branch opened in a strip mall. The staff moved into a new branch building in June 2005, after they finally found a better spot, closed the deal on a new spot and designed and built the new building.
Don’t forget to stop by the Draper branch on Fridays this month and grab a cookie!